CARES has vast experience in monitoring state and local housing programs, providing technical assistance to state and local entities, and preparing grant applications for non-profit entities.
CARES has extensive experience providing program monitoring federally funded housing and homeless programs including the New York State Office of Mental Health’s (OMH) Shelter Plus Care and PATH programs and New York State’s Homeless Housing Assistance Program (HHAP).
CARES has provided technical assistance to the New York State Office of Temporary Disability Assistance, the New York State Department of Health, the New York State Office of Mental Health, the New York State Office of Alcohol and Substance Abuse Services, and countless non-profit agencies in the area of housing and supportive services for homeless and disabled persons.
Specific areas of expertise include:
Direct Property Management
- Establish relationships with tenants, the public, municipal authorities, and other not-for-profit agencies
- Collect rent
- Ensure business expenses are accurate and current
- Submit monthly status reports to funders
- Maintain units, buildings, and grounds
- Link tenants with support services
- Protect vacant buildings against damage
- Develop comprehensive asset management plans
- Manage properties
- Develop intake and screening processes
- Engage in long-range capital planning
- Provide support services
- Develop community relationships and resources
- Initiate tenant education and involvement
- Develop fund-raising and resource developing strategies
Organizational Capacity Development
- Assess needs
- Conduct strategic planning
- Provide management assistance
- Develop program policies and procedures
- Identify support services needs and developing plans to address those needs
- Establish linkages with other agencies and policy makers to ensure programs become part of the local continuum of services
- Train staff
- Organize tenants
- Integrate Homeless Housing and Assistance Corporation funded programs with existing agency programs
- Develop and implement support services programs for special needs populations, such as homeless individuals, homeless families, homeless adolescents, victims of domestic violence, veterans, and persons living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA).
- CARES has expertise in working with employment services, mental health treatment, alcoholism and substance abuse treatment, transportation, child care, legal services, elderly services, domestic violence services, HIV/AIDS related services, benefits advocacy, emergency financial assistance, educational assistance, and life skills training.
Grant Writing Services
CARES provides grant writing and grant consultation services to non-profit entities for public and private funds.
CARES has written successful applications for the following funders:
- New York State Homeless Housing and Assistance Program
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- U.S. Department of Justice, Office on Violence against Women
- New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance
- New York State Division of Housing and Community Renewal
- City of Albany Office of Community Development
- City of Schenectady Office of Community Development
- City of Troy Office of Community Development
- Community Foundation of the Capital Region
- United Way of the Greater Capital Region
- Troy Savings Bank Music Hall Foundation
For more information, please contact CARES at: (518)489-4130