- This event has passed.
*Toward Justice* Symposium in Albany
December 4, 2017 - December 5, 2017
Toward Justice Flier -Dec 4-5, 2017 – Albany, v1, the Save the Date for the Toward Justice symposium on December 4 – 5, 2017. The Symposium will bring together stakeholders from around NY and the region to learn about what’s happening in Albany and elsewhere with pre-arrest and pre-booking diversion initiatives.
About Toward Justice:
Communities across the country are grappling with the urgent crises of mass incarceration, opioid addiction, and fatal overdoses. At Toward Justice, participants will explore innovative municipal approaches, like Albany’s Law Enforcement Assisted Diversion (LEAD) program, to improve community health and safety, address racial disparities, and save lives.
Symposium goals include:
- Learning about the Albany experience with LEAD – what’s worked, what hasn’t, and where it’s going
- Discussing pre-arrest and other diversion initiatives underway in New York, Connecticut, and the region
- Understanding the critical role of police, district attorneys, and community public safety groups in ensuring the success of pre-arrest and pre-booking diversion programs
- Highlighting the critical role that harm reduction plays in improving public safety and health, addressing the opioid overdose crisis, and saving lives
- Elevating the importance of community engagement and racial equity in municipal reform efforts
- Distinguishing between what municipalities can do, and what local and state lawmakers must do, to address problems related to safety and health
Capacity is limited. Register now: towardjustice.eventbrite.com
To become a sponsor or partner of Toward Justice, or for more details, please email Keith Brown at email@example.com.
Details, including information about accommodations to follow. We look forward to seeing you in December in Albany!
Keith Brown, MPH
Director, Health & Harm Reduction
Katal Center for Health, Equity, and Justice